Students with The Dance Factory of Morganton recently participated in their first competition since March.
The dancers traveled Sept. 26 to Kingsport, Tennessee, to the Clogging Champions of America Dance Matrix. The teams earned multiple first-place awards and had three overall grand champion placements.
“The teams prepared for competition through Zoom and Park classes until we were able to reopen the doors,” said Angela Hensley, office manager at The Dance Factory. “I am so very proud of all the hard work they have put into preparing for this competition. The Dance Factory has qualified all teams to go to nationals, which is CCA Showdown of Champions in Knoxville, Tennessee, in January.”
Each team has qualified two to seven dancers placing first, second or third. Winners by dance category are:
- Elite elementary hip-hop: First place.
- High frequency hip-hop: First place.
- Hip-hop trio: First place.
- TDF combined (Avatar): First place.
- The Factory Pro hip-hop: First place.
- Junior elite contemporary (China’s): First place.
- Elite contemporary (Emily’s): First place and overall.
Clogging artistic expression winners are:
- TDF combined teams (Jumanji): First place.
- TDF elite (school): First place and overall.
Other clogging winners are:
- Clogging moving traditional line — TDF Combined Teams: Second place.
- Clogging traditional standing line — Impulse: Second place.
- Clogging moving line — Impulse: Second place.
Clogging Starz standing line winners are:
- Sparkle Tiny Tots: Silver.
- Sparkle Pee-Wee: Silver.
- Extreme Energy: Silver.
Starz traditional line winners are:
- Sparkle Pee-Wee: Silver.
- Extreme energy: Silver.
Other Starz winners are:
- Starz small team — Extreme Energy: Platinum.
- Starz freestyle solo — Rachel Buchanan: Silver.
- Starz traditional solo — Rachel Buchanan: Gold.
Dance solo and duos winners are
- Haven Hensley: First place.
- Jonathan Hensley and Leah Lackey: First place.
- Aniyah Code: First place.
- Emma White: First place and overall.
- Belle Seagle: Second place.
- Stellar Gateley: Third place.
- Raylin Stroupe: First place.
- Maggie Buckner: First place.
Clogging choreographed solo winners are:
- Presley McCoy: Second place.
- Kennedy Denton: First place.
- Brooklyn Beamish: Second place.
Jonathan Hensley, owner and hip-hop director of The Dance Factory, also auditioned for a national team known as “The Lab,” winners of “2018 World of Dance” TV show, and was accepted into the program. The Lab studio is based in Los Angeles. He will train for a spot on one of the teams. He is currently training on Zoom twice a week until pandemic restrictions are lifted.
“We are extremely proud of him and this amazing opportunity,” Angela said. “He has worked extremely hard for this. It was well deserved.
Get local news delivered to your inbox!
Subscribe to our Daily Headlines newsletter.